Thursday, March 11, 2010

Apple Conference



I am here in Memphis attending an Apple conference. That is actually way cooler than it sounds (although to geeks, that sounds pretty cool as it is).

As soon as I signed in, I was given an iPod touch and iMac pro to use for the day. How different is that? Once we sat in the conference hall, we were given a little package. I knew what it was before I opened mine - earbuds.

Funny thing, I forgot all about needing earbuds to teach iPod. I know I only want to use MY earbuds when I am listening to my iPod. And, of course, these are the special earbuds that have the little mic built in so that you can use the audio memo feature. Because I had planned to do an iPod course using that feature, it occurred to me that I might need to get a large supply of earbuds. So I asked the presenter: How much? When I was quoted a $30 price tag, I staggered a little. Maybe I can come up with something else.

Ok, so, I didn't mean to go off on the cost tangent. That isn't even the point. Everything I have seen today is not really new to me; it just shows me new ways of using technology in the classroom. We were given an assignment electronically. In the assignment, we were required to:
  • watch podcasts
  • comment on them in a Note
  • use an App to calculate energy usage
  • use the calculator to apply this to our own lives
  • post our findings on a wiki
Now, see, none of that is really earth-shattering, but when you think of it from the standpoint of being a teacher and using this with a classroom full of kids, it really puts a spin on it. A cool, exciting spin that I think would get kids going.

One big difference is that the attendees are mainly computer-literate even though the presenter keeps referring to us as "digital immigrants" so she only had to give the directions once. The kids, being "digital natives," don't even need that. Of course, we have one lady that needs a little extra help manipulating the technology and a couple of die-hard PC people (not me!) that need some mac tutoring, but all in all, it's as smooth as glass.

I'm excited about teaching all of this. I'd like to get some 4N6 kids involved in helping make some podcasts. No one can beat their voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment