
Last night, we were sitting around having a discussion about the future of television. In Star Trek, there are no televisions. When a few 1990's people were released from cryogenic sleep, the first thing one of them asked for was a television and he was told that "ancient technology" had become extinct long ago. At the time that episode was released (circa 1988) that was a big funny joke.
But is it?
I can download books into my Kindle and read anywhere, any time. My iPhone allows me to check e-mail, add to my blog, look at facebook, or even watch YouTube from anywhere I happen to be. It's even more polite since I have my headphones and no one else has to listen to another episode of Top Chef.
I don't think I am ready to pack up my television, though. I used to say I would keep it for my video games, but I have video games on my iPod. However, there is something to be said for kicking back at night on the couch with a large screen facing me as I catch up with Greg House or see the latest wannabes on Idol. I do believe we are getting close to a time when DVD players will no longer be necessary. I already use my DVR on a daily basis and would happily download movies if that were an option. With my Kindle, I can purchase a brand-new book and be reading it within a few minutes, no shipping and handling costs and no long wait to see what happens to Katniss.
There's something to be said for that.
Yes, I can download to my iPod, but the size of the screen will always be a factor.
After all, I am typing this on my desktop.
No comments:
Post a Comment